No Smoking Policy
Mansfield Housing Authority is committed to providing a safe and healthy working and learning environment for the residents, guests, and staff on its campus, it hereby adopts the following smoke free policy.
Mansfield Housing Authority Smoke-Free Policy
Effective July 30, 2018
- No-Smoking Policy - Due to the increased risk of fire, increased maintenance costs, and the health effects of secondhand smoke, the Mansfield Housing Authority is adopting the following No-Smoking Policy. The Policy prohibits smoking in any interior common areas, including but not limited to; within all living units, community rooms, community bathrooms, lobbies, reception areas, hallways, laundry rooms, stairways, offices, elevator, or within 10 feet of all Mansfield Housing Authority buildings. This Policy applies to all residents, guests, visitors, service personnel and employees.
- Definition - The term "smoking" means inhaling, exhaling, breathing, carrying, or possessing any lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, other tobacco product or similar lighted product in any manner or in any form.
- Housing Authority not a guarantor of smoke free environment - Resident acknowledges that Mansfield Housing Authority adoption of a No-Smoking Policy does not make Mansfield Housing Authority or any of its managing agents the guarantor of Resident's health or of the smoke free condition of non-smoking portions of the property. However, Housing Authority will take reasonable steps to enforce the No-Smoking Policy. Mansfield Housing Authority is not required to take steps in response to smoking unless Mansfield Housing Authority has actual knowledge of the smoking and the identity of the responsible Resident.
- Landlord disclaimer - Resident acknowledges that Housing Authority adoption of a non-smoking living environment, and the efforts to designate portions of the property as non-smoking does not in any way change the standard of care that Housing Authority has under applicable law to render the property any safer, more habitable or improved in terms of air quality standards than any other rental premises. Mansfield Housing Authority specifically disclaims any implied or express warranties that the property will have any higher or improved air quality standards than any other rental property. Mansfield Housing Authority cannot and does not warranty or promise that the property will be free from secondhand smoke. Resident acknowledges that Housing Authority ability to police, monitor or enforce this Policy is dependent in significant part on voluntary compliance by Residents and Resident's guests. Residents with respiratory ailments and/or allergies to other conditions relating to smoke are put on notice the Mansfield Housing Authority does not assume any higher duty of care to enforce this Policy than any other Mansfield Housing Authority obligation under the rental agreement.
- Lease violation - Residents are responsible for the actions of their household, their guests and visitors. Failure to adhere to any of the conditions of this Policy will constitute a material non-compliance with the rental agreement and a serious violation of the Rental Agreement. In addition, Resident will be responsible for all costs for all clean-up associated with smoking, upon any violation of this Policy, such as removal of smoke odor or residue, sealing and repainting, picking up cigarette butts, etc.
If you have questions about this policy, please call our office 318-872-1383.